EDENHAM & LITTLE BYTHAM RAILWAY - This was a railway company formed by Lord Willoughby de Eresby to build a line from the Great Northern Railway at Little Bytham to Edenham, serving the villages of Edenham and Grimsthorpe and also Grimsthorpe Castle, his Lordship's home, in Lincolnshire. The standard of construction left something to be desired, and as a result the line failed its first two Board of Trade inspections. It passed its third inspection but severe speed restrictions were imposed, as low as 8 miles per hour in some places. It had been converted to a railway from a paved road operated by steam traction engines and built along the lie of the land with very few engineering works. Hence, curves were very tight and gradients fearsome, as steep as 1-in-40 or steeper in places, so right on the limit for normal railway operations. The E&LBR worked the line themselves as the GNR refused to operate it. The line opened in December 1857 and was originally worked by steam locomotives. The line struggled, with passenger services being particularly unprofitable. In 1863 the passenger service comprised 5 trains each way Mondays to Saturdays, taking about 17 minutes to cover the 4 miles, and no service on Sundays. Passenger services ceased in October 1871, because the locomotives were worn out and the company could not afford to replace them. A freight service of sorts lingered on using horse traction until 1884, when the line closed. Here a poster advertising a sale of the remnants of the railway. Notice the line was laid with very light 40lbs per yard rails, severely limiting the potential for locomotive development.