PETROL RAIL MOTOR BUS - 130Y - The North Eastern Railway's Rail Motor Bus No.110 (later No.130Y) was the result of an experimental conversion. The NER had operated a number of bus services in the Durham since 1912, and one of the buses was chosen to be converted to rail use in 1922. The bus had entered service on July 19th, 1922. The conversion was completed at York Carriage Works. Initially No. 110 in the Road Vehicle fleet, it was renumbered as No. 130Y shortly after conversion. Both an additional radiator and an additional driving position were located at the rear of the vehicle. Central passenger doors were fitted to both sides of the saloon. Total seating capacity was 26 3rd class passengers. An electric headlamp was also fitted. Initially, the bus had no facility for being towed or propelled, but large U-shaped towing brackets were fitted in 1925. The initial York duty involved a service to Haxby, Strensall, Earswick, and Copmanthorpe. NER Petrol Autocar No.2105 took over this duty on July 9th, 1923, and No.130 was transferred to Selby, where No.130 operated daily return trips to Straddlethorpe, York, Goole, Castleford, Market Weighton, Cawood, and Hemingborough. This resulted in a full timetable that started at 0652 and finished at 1944. No.130 took part in the Stockton & Darlington Centenary celebrations, but continued these Selby duties until November 11th, 1926 when the railbus caught fire whilst being filled up with petrol at Selby shed. The entire bus was gutted within 15 minutes. Only the chassis remained, and it was eventually decided not to rebuild or replace the bus. No.130 was officially withdrawn from stock on April 9th, 1927 - seen here at Goole in 1923.