LEICESTER BELGRAVE ROAD STATION - Opened in October 1882, the GNR's terminus in Leicester was a rather grand affair. With 5 platforms and a vaulted steel roof lit by hundreds of glass panels, it had of the pretensions of a grand mainline terminus. The only trouble was that it sat at the end of end of a little used branchline! The main passenger services ran to Grantham and Peterborough via the triangular junction at Marefield junction, with local services to Melton Mowbray North. There was never much local traffic, as the area east of Leicester was very sparsely populated, and the Peterborough trains stopped in 1916 as wartime economy and never returned. By 1950, only two Grantham trains and the locals remained. All regular services ended in December 1953. However, on a summer weekend, right up until September 1962, the station burst into life as specials to the East Coast seaside resorts virtually followed each out in the morning and back again in the evening. Thereafter, the site was used as an engineering depot until final closure in January 1969. The site is now occupied by a supermarket.