MERSEY RAILWAY - No.5 CECIL RAIKES - MR Class 1 0-6-4T - built 1886 by Beyer Peacock Ltd - 1903 sold to Shipley Collieries for £750 - 1954 withdrawn, to store at Derby Works - 1965 to Liverpool Museum - seen here at Woodside Colliery, 09/52 - note condensing gear still in place.
The Mersey Railway connected Liverpool and Birkenhead, which lie on opposite banks of the River Mersey, via the Mersey Railway Tunnel from 1886 to 1948. The railway opened with four stations using steam locomotives hauling unheated wooden carriages; in the next six years the line was extended and three more stations opened. However, the steam locomotives created a polluted atmosphere in the tunnel, passengers reverted to using the river ferries and the railway was bankrupt by 1900. Recovery came after the railway adopted electric traction in 1903. The Mersey Railway remained independent in the railway grouping of 1923 but was nationalised in 1948.