SEVERN & WYE RAILWAY - FRIAR TUCK - 0-6-0T - built 1870 by Avonside Engine Co. to broad gauge - 1872 converted to standard gauge - 1896 to MR as No.1605, 1907 to MR No.1122A - 1911 withdrawn.
The Severn & Wye Railway operated an extensive network of mainly mineral lines that extended from Sharpness, across the River Severn and throughout the Forest of Dean, starting life as early as 1810 as horse-drawn plateway built to 3ft 6in. gauge. In 1868 the Railway was converted to broad gauge and in 1872 to standard gauge. In 1896, deeply in debt, the whole system was sold jointly to GWR & MR, the latter taking responsibility for rolling stock, the former for the permanent way. the 1923 Grouping saw the line pass into the joint ownership of the LMS and GWR and economies started almost at once. Most passenger services were withdrawn from 1929 and freight operations rapidly declined from 1945 onwards. By 1968 the railway was no longer.