1933 to 1943 - FAIREY SEAL - The Fairey Seal was a British carrier-borne spotter-reconnaissance aircraft. The Seal was derived from the IIIF. To enable the Fairey Seal to be launched by catapult from warships, it was able to be equipped with floats.The Seal entered squadron service with the Fleet Air Arm. 91 aircraft were produced. By 1938 all FAA torpedo squadrons had entirely re-equipped with the Swordfish. The Seal was removed from front-line service by 1938, but remained in secondary and support roles. By the outbreak of the Second World War, only four remained in service. The type was retired fully by 1943. The type was last used in India as an instructional airframe from the Royal Navy Photographic Unit. The RAF also operated the Seal as a target tug. 12 aircraft were part of the RAF's No 10 Bombing and Gunnery School until 1940. A further four aircraft were used by 273 Squadron in Ceylon. These aircraft were used on coastal patrols, some as floatplanes. By May 1942, the type had been retired from RAF service. In 1934 Latvia ordered four Seal floatplanes for its naval aviation. Between June 22nd and July 5th. 1936. three floatplanes under Colonel Janis Indans undertook a 6000 km long journey from Liepāja through Baltic and North European countries to England and back. In autumn 1940, after Latvia's annexation, the aircraft were taken by the Soviets, but they were not used by them afterwards, and remained stored on Kisezers lake. On 28 June 1941 they were destroyed there by the German planes.